Monday, June 1, 2009

The present state of government





These steps greeted me this morning as I went to our local post office to mail yet another pile of fund-raising letters.


I know that State Reps don't control the postal system, but here is an example of the refusal of our elected representatives at all levels of government to make good decisions.


Our current sad state of political affairs is the result of many factors, two of which are short-sighted budgeting and postponed decision-making. As I see it, too many elected officials base their decisions on the question "Will this get me re-elected?" rather than on the questions "What would my constituents have me do?" and "What is best for the greater and long-term good?"


I understand the predicament of economics as I face financial decisions every time I pay a bill. And yes, my home needs a new roof and I can't afford to buy it.


When it comes to the political world, there has been much too much short-sighted thinking, maintaining the status quo, and casting votes to get oneself re-elected rather than to serve the best interests of those one is representing. None of us can afford to run our homes or businesses the way the Illinois House of Representatives runs the state. It's time to tell the our elected officials to add fiscal responsibility and true representation to the list of what comes first.


Merely doing what it takes to get oneself re-elected ought to be last on the list, if on the list at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment